Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Wolfie, A Gentle Loving Spirit

I first met Wolfie, a gorgeous German Shepherd when my daughter was in second grade. Wolfie had been trained as an animal companion service animal. He was so gentle you could practically put your entire head in his mouth with no problem. Of course no one put their head in his mouth.

Two particular incidents reveal the loving gentle spirit that was Wolfie. One time my daughter and I had stayed over night at my friend Mary's home, Mary was the owner of Wolfie. My daughter became sick with a high fever. We tucked my daughter in bed with some medicine. Wolfie climbed on to the bottom of the bed and stayed with her. I checked on her several times during the night. Wolfie was still with her.

Then I went downstairs and tried to get some sleep. I woke up to Wolfie kissing my face. Immediately, I went upstairs to check on my daughter. Her fever had finally broken. It was almost like Wolfie wanted me to know that her fever had broken and she was doing better. I was very thankful.

Another time I was working in the apartment complex office where both Mary and I lived. I was really stressed out and trying to hold back tears. Mary came in with Wolfie to handle some paperwork. Wolfie came up to see me and laid down at my feet in front of my desk. He would not budge. It was almost like he knew how upset I was. Finally, I got up and began to hug him and I told him everything was ok. He then got up and left with Mary. That day he blessed me with a little bit of joy and gave me strength to get through the day.

Wolfie was truly a blessing from God. He went home to heaven and I know his gentle loving spirit will be with us forever. We will meet him once again at the gates of heaven.

God bless Wolfie and all animals that bless our lives so richly, warming our hearts and souls.

In God's blessings and love,
KM

No comments: